The Hell With This Podcast #68 - "The Ice Pirates" (1984)

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

The Hell With This Podcast #68 - "The Ice Pirates" (1984)

Post by Chad Peter » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:42 pm

Ep. 68 - The Ice Pirates" (1984)

Howdy!  Remember us?  No?  Well, shucks.  Welcome back to another episode of THE HELL WITH THIS.  Your hosts Mark and Chad have been briefly reunited to bring you a, uhm, podcast… where we talk about… things and stuff.  This week’s “things and stuff” is an audience requested number, “The Ice Pirates”, a not-as-forgotten-as-it-probably-should-have-been film from 1984!  The fellas also discuss the state of sci-fi (and possibly where “it went wrong”).

Performers of note: Robert Urich, Mary Crosby, Michael D. Roberts, Anjelica Huston, John Matuszak, Ron Perlman and John Carradine.

Subscribe to us on iTunes, Spotify or just listen below:

DIRECT DOWNLOAD MP3 - http://traffic.libsyn.com/thehellwithth ... IRATES.mp3

IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087451/reference
0068-theicepirates.jpg
0068-theicepirates.jpg (85.94 KiB) Viewed 809 times

Lance

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #68 - "The Ice Pirates" (1984)

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:41 pm

Oh man, I cannot wait to listen to this, um, later...so I guess I can wait? I love this terrible little parody.

Fuckin' space herpes.

You're welcome.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:21 am

Lance wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:41 pm
You're welcome.
hahaha *slowly backs away*

We - or at least *I* - had fun with it. Mark and I were missing the nostalgia aspect of it, so it was hard for us to wrap our tiny brains around.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:11 am

You each summed it beautifully in two separate sentence fragments put together: "You can do anything you want in the view of the lens and...this is what they chose to film" - "like, how cheesy and tacky it is."

That's it. That's all there is to it. Anything more than that is overinterpretation, trying to make it into something it's not meant to be. Nostalgia? Nah. It doesn't take me back to a more innocent, carefree day. I didn't like this movie when I was a kid. I'm enjoying it in the here and now.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:58 am

Mike wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:11 am
You each summed it beautifully in two separate sentence fragments put together: "You can do anything you want in the view of the lens and...this is what they chose to film" - "like, how cheesy and tacky it is."

That's it. That's all there is to it. Anything more than that is overinterpretation, trying to make it into something it's not meant to be. Nostalgia? Nah. It doesn't take me back to a more innocent, carefree day. I didn't like this movie when I was a kid. I'm enjoying it in the here and now.
hahaha, interesting take. Mark and I worked on the overinterpretation aspect, for sure. Perhaps, in 30 years, Mark and I will feel differently.

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed May 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Ha ha ha, you guys kept circling around it but never landed on it, it is a parody of the bad sci fi moves of the time.

I get that it doesn't hold up these days with movies like Deadpool and such, but come on, this was absurdly stupid/funny in 1984 when I was eleven.

At the time, all of these actors were relevant and space herpes was, well, I guess it was a different time. This was released just a week before Police Academy, three years before Spaceballs, and four years before Naked Gun. Galaxina and Hardware Wars were the only scifi parodies we had to laugh at prior to this. Sure there was Airplane! and Airplane! 2 which set the bar, but no one could touch those.
Yes, it's terrible, I guess you just had to be there to appreciate just how fun it was to watch something so terrible at the time.

We'll just let it go as the nostalgia thing. :lol:

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sat May 04, 2019 12:51 pm

Lance wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:33 pm
Ha ha ha, you guys kept circling around it but never landed on it, it is a parody of the bad sci fi moves of the time.

I get that it doesn't hold up these days with movies like Deadpool and such, but come on, this was absurdly stupid/funny in 1984 when I was eleven.

At the time, all of these actors were relevant and space herpes was, well, I guess it was a different time. This was released just a week before Police Academy, three years before Spaceballs, and four years before Naked Gun. Galaxina and Hardware Wars were the only scifi parodies we had to laugh at prior to this. Sure there was Airplane! and Airplane! 2 which set the bar, but no one could touch those.
Yes, it's terrible, I guess you just had to be there to appreciate just how fun it was to watch something so terrible at the time.

We'll just let it go as the nostalgia thing. :lol:
This makes a TON of sense, and I couldn't agree more that Mark and I juuuust missed it by a few years. It was such a specific era of "bad" sci-fi, those late-70's / early 80's flicks, and having Ice Pirates as a parody of that I could see - I think our problem with it, was that it didn't come off as silly enough to appear to be a parody. Space Herpes... OK, I'll give you THAT one.