The Hell With This Podcast #55 - "The Void" (2016)

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

The Hell With This Podcast #55 - "The Void" (2016)

Post by Chad Peter » Sun May 06, 2018 11:22 am

"The Void" (2016)

Chad and Mark are back! The guys discuss work-life balance, wondering what it is, and what it means to be a creative person with no time to be creative. They also flip the script with Chad bringing a movie he's never seen - yet Mark had. This week's film is a 2016 micro-budget indie called "The Void".

Performers of note: Aaron Poole, Kenneth Welsh, Daniel Fathers, Kathleen Munroe, Ellen Wong, Jeremy Gillespie, Steven Kostanski.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4255304/

http://traffic.libsyn.com/thehellwithth ... HEVOID.mp3
0055-thevoid.jpg
0055-thevoid.jpg (118.26 KiB) Viewed 1157 times

Mike

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #55 - "The Void" (2016)

Post by Mike » Mon May 07, 2018 11:03 am

Beer? Cat babble? Domesticity? LOL ugh. Chad needs more sleep.

Good observations on how we spend our time - we really do use each hour of every day for something, and if we want to do something new we have to jettison something else from our life.

Thanks for the commentary on this one - I was also hoping for some sort of Lovecraftian drama, kinda like the OTHER "Void." THIS "Void" will go on the "don't bother" list. Way to take one for the team, guys.
"Np2k has ruined my life." - Lance

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon May 07, 2018 1:12 pm

Mike wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:03 am
Beer? Cat babble? Domesticity? LOL ugh. Chad needs more sleep.

Good observations on how we spend our time - we really do use each hour of every day for something, and if we want to do something new we have to jettison something else from our life.

Thanks for the commentary on this one - I was also hoping for some sort of Lovecraftian drama, kinda like the OTHER "Void." THIS "Void" will go on the "don't bother" list. Way to take one for the team, guys.
Yeah, this film was, more or less, a thorough disappointment. The trailer showed promise that never quite delivered - outside of the great creature FX.

Back on the subject of work-life-balance, Mark and I sat down to record this probably three weeks ago(?), and it's only just now seeing the light of day. We haven't yet recorded anything new beyond that, but between a wedding this weekend and this job... ugh... fingers crossed we can get to the next episode in a timely manner.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Tue May 08, 2018 2:32 pm

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed May 09, 2018 3:01 pm

For some reason I could've sworn you guys already did a podcast about this movie. I have no idea why, I just had it in my head. I even went back through the list to make sure. Early onset dementia no doubt. Maybe you guys mentioned it in a previous cast and I just made up a whole new podcast in my head that I clearly never listened to because it didn't exist. Sorry I didn't listen to the non-existent podcast I made up in my head guys, I have no excuse.

I think I tried to watch this movie at one point, or at least had it on my queue to watch, but I remember nothing about it. Netflix says I've watched 84 of 90 minutes of it...maybe I had it on in the background while I was working so I wasn't paying enough attention to have any kind of recall. Maybe early onset dementia struck again. In any case, I'll need to re-watch it.

As far as the working thing, I totally get the burnout issue. When I first started tattooing I was at it non stop for years. My apprenticeship consisted of me getting up at 5am to go to work as a cook, getting off at 2pm, going immediately to the tattoo shop and working there until everyone was done (sometimes until 2 or 3am), going home to sleep and get up to do it again, all while my wife was pregnant with my oldest. After my apprenticeship I was working 13-16 hours a day 6-7 days a week for the first couple of years just to get a new shop established. I missed a lot of time with my family and was even to a point where I almost said fuck the whole thing. There's still times that I feel like that, the way this industry has changed, not unlike the film industry, makes me think "What in the fuck did I go through all of that for if some kid can just pick up the latest technology online and make a go of it now?" Shit that took me 5 years to learn the new generation are able to do year one because they don't have to jump the hurdles that were once in place. They no longer have to earn their place through perseverance. I'm sure it's the same for you guys who worked with film pre-digital looking at someone like me just coming into filming all digital. I mean, my phone can shoot 4k, doesn't mean I know how to use it properly. [/rant] ;)

Back to the whole juggling work/family, I found the best way to keep shit together is to involve the people you want to spend time with. That being said, my wife and I have been together long enough to support each others extra curricular activities to a point, my kids are grown to the point that they don't require my full attention any more, and I have no friends. Okay, okay, I have friends but, let's just say that when I show up to something I was invited to they make a big deal out of the fact I showed up, and I never show up uninvited.

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed May 16, 2018 12:20 pm

Re-watched it. I vaguely remember watching it before. It wasn't bad, just felt like a compilation of unoriginal themes from other movies that someone wanted to see again.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Fri May 25, 2018 2:04 pm

Lance wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:20 pm
Re-watched it. I vaguely remember watching it before. It wasn't bad, just felt like a compilation of unoriginal themes from other movies that someone wanted to see again.
Pretty much spot on.