The Hell With This Podcast #20 - The Impostors

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

The Hell With This Podcast #20 - The Impostors

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:38 pm

"The Impostors" (1998)

Hot off his debut film, Big Night, Stanley Tucci wrote and directed this comedy in the style of Wilder/Marx/Hardy/Costello… to mixed success. Mixed, meaning it is right up Mark’s alley, and diametrically opposed to the very fiber of Chad’s being. It’s a movie about actors that was made by actors, so it’s no surprise that the attitudes and quirks of actors are captured well here. Much like the surplus of subplots that never add up to anything, The Impostors has a collection of funny sketches that never coalesce into something greater. For fans of old school comedies only!

https://thehellwiththiscom.files.wordpr ... ostors.mp3

The Impostors (1998)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120823/combined

Performers of note: Stanley Tucci, Oliver Platt, Alfred Molina, Michael Emerson, Lili Taylor, Tony Shalhoub, Steve Buscemi, Allison Janney, Richard Jenkins, Isabella Rossellini, Billy Connolly, Campbell Scott, Hope Davis, Woody Allen, and a million others.
theimposters.jpg
theimposters.jpg (68.15 KiB) Viewed 611 times

Heiliger

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #20 - The Impostors

Post by Heiliger » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:53 pm

I was going to post a YouTube link to share some of my favorite moments only to discover THERE AREN'T ANY CLIPS ON YOUTUBE! So now I'm ripping my DVD to share these scenes with the world. You're welcome, world.

LATER...

YouTube won't let them go up because Fox is using the ol' copyright claim tactic. Well, you can watch the movie on YouTube for only a few bucks and I'd say it's well worth it.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:49 am

Heiliger wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:53 pm
I was going to post a YouTube link to share some of my favorite moments only to discover THERE AREN'T ANY CLIPS ON YOUTUBE! So now I'm ripping my DVD to share these scenes with the world. You're welcome, world.

LATER...

YouTube won't let them go up because Fox is using the ol' copyright claim tactic. Well, you can watch the movie on YouTube for only a few bucks and I'd say it's well worth it.
Bahahaha, wow, really?

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:56 pm

It's on Netflix streaming. I think I've seen this before but I'm going to give it a watch before I listen to the podcast.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:15 pm

Lance wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:56 pm
It's on Netflix streaming. I think I've seen this before but I'm going to give it a watch before I listen to the podcast.
It is? Mark, did you know that? lol

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:06 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:15 pm
Lance wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:56 pm
It is? Mark, did you know that? lol
Watching it now.

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Okay, I'll give my two cents before I listen to the podcast.

I really wanted to like this movie, I thought I would. I mean it starts out with a double boob grab and a knife fight, how could I not want to like this movie? There's just too much going on and none of it lends itself to me investing anything into it. I think they tried to rehash every slapstick routine they could think of, which would be fine if they manged to follow each routine to its hilarious end but most of the time they just wandered off into another routine leaving me wanting. I didn't hate the movie, I just didn't really care by the end. The cast was great, the acting was as it should be for this genre of movie, there were some clever bits...just felt kinda meh.

Heiliger

Post by Heiliger » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:36 pm

Hot damn, it's on Netflix! My search did not return that as a result.

Lance, what you say is not wrong. I love it for the parts that are good - the bakery scene in particular - and try to ignore the parts that are lame.

Lance

Post by Lance » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:40 pm

I don't know why it didn't post but I left a comment about the link here being broken, or is this a clever ploy to get people to go through The Hell With This website?

Mark, I did enjoy the bakery scene.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Mon May 01, 2017 9:51 am

Didn't realize I didn't update the mp3 link with the correct one - thanks for the head's up (it's fixed now).