The Hell With This Podcast #19 - Black Book

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

The Hell With This Podcast #19 - Black Book

Post by Chad Peter » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:06 am

"Black Book" (2005)

Robocop, Total Recall, Basic Instinct, Showgirls, Starship Troopers, and... Black Book? What do these have in common? They're all (mostly) awesome - and they're all directed by a crazy man by the name of Paul Verhoven. After two critical flops, Starship Troopers and 2000's Hollow Man, Verhoven seemingly left Hollywood behind for a grand return to his native Dutch roots. After a five year break from directing (as far as we could tell), he returned - better, in Chad's opinion - to direct the largest film in Dutch film history, 2005's Black Book (and eventually leading up to 2016's Elle, which garnered an oscar nomination for lead actress Isabelle Huppert).

Having dominated Hollywood blockbusters since the 1980's, Verhoven has seemingly taken the next step to tackling more dramatic, more meaningful films... without losing the quirks that make him unique.

https://thehellwiththiscom.files.wordpr ... ckbook.mp3

Black Book (aka Zwartboek) (2005)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/combined

Performers of note: Carice van Houten, Sebastian Koch, Derek de Lint, Thom Hoffman, Waldermar Kobus
blackbook.jpg
blackbook.jpg (96.11 KiB) Viewed 409 times

Faldor

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #19 - Black Book

Post by Faldor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:57 am

Back in around 2003 or so, when DVDs were at their height. The local video shop expanded to include a range of foreign films which was very exciting because until then the selection had been mostly limited to the usual top 10 blockbusters and not much else. I can't remember what made me buy the film sight unseen but I was really enjoyed an accurate depiction of the Second World War where everyone spoke the right language.

Heiliger

Re: The Hell With This Podcast #19 - Black Book

Post by Heiliger » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:53 am

It didn't occur to me during recording, but the language thing leads to another thought: This movie is a reminder that America wasn't a team of superheroes and everyone else just sat back and let us take care of the durned Nazis. Every country and person involved in WWII had their own stories going on too. Members of the French/Polish/German resistance have often been relegated to sidekick roles in support of John Wayne or whomever, but here we got a film almost devoid of the English language and totally unconcerned about America's part in the war. Given that they were writing this movie for many years, I'm sure that was a deliberate move to make the Dutchiest WWII movie ever.