Chad & Mark's Untitled Podcast #9 - About Time

The heart of 2k. Back again, since 1999... give or take a few restarts.
Chad Peter
Site Admin

Chad & Mark's Untitled Podcast #9 - About Time

Post by Chad Peter » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:35 pm

I had to force this one on Mark, more or less, because honestly who wants to watch a british rom-com about time travel? (don't answer that, british folk) Point is, not many people did see this one - even if it is probably the most mainstream film we've watched this far. "About Time" is a wonderfully funny flick, and if you haven't seen it - you SHOULD suck it up and watch it. Just don't judge this one on the poster, because... yeah. At least make it to the audio clip I've edited into the episode, because that should help enlighten you to the type of humor that this movie possesses.

http://www.np2k.com/podcast/episodes/TH ... UTTIME.mp3

About Time (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2194499/

Performers of note: Domhnall Gleeson, Rachel McAdams, Bill Nighy, Lydia Wilson, and Margot Robbie. (Honorable mention: Vanessa Kirby of "The Crown")
About_Time_Poster.jpg
About_Time_Poster.jpg (38.49 KiB) Viewed 331 times

Faldor

Re: Chad & Mark's Untitled Podcast #9 - About Time

Post by Faldor » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:37 pm

Chad Peter wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:35 pm
I had to force this one on Mark, more or less, because honestly who wants to watch a british rom-com about time travel?

The best known Time-Travel-Rom-Com we've ever produced was the late nineties sitcom "Goodnight Sweetheart" which starred the other guy from the biggest sitcom of the time "Only Fools And Horses" (think friends with dodgy deals instead of trendy coffee bars and will they /won't they's)

Anyway "Goodnight Sweetheart" follows Gary Sparrow, a middle-aged man from the east end of London who finds a wall that he can walk through and return to the 1940's luckily he knows that no bombs are going to drop on it and makes regular trips where he starts an affair with a bar maid, despite having a wife in the 1990's.

The time travel aspect was added quite late in development because the BBC were a bit uneasy about a comedy about adultery. It ran for six years.
Chad Peter wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:35 pm
(don't answer that, british folk)
Oops.

Lance

Post by Lance » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:10 am

Huh, when I think "British" and "Friends" I get "Coupling" but that has nothing to do with anything so I'm just going to go ahead and back out of this conversation slowly.

Faldor

Post by Faldor » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:00 pm

Good podcast!

Chad, have you ever read 'Slaughter House Five'. It has a similar approach to time travel and is excellent, also do check out "Time After Time" It has a different approach to time travel and is excellent.

Mark, If I had these powers I doubt I'd use them for super heroics, I might however buy a day pass for public transport and always travel on the same day to save money.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:12 am

Faldor wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:00 pm
Chad, have you ever read 'Slaughter House Five'.
Shockingly, that's one of the few books I HAVE read. And yet I don't remember damn near anything about it, outside of thinking the author was trying to be TOO cool. Frankly, you saying it's a time travel book makes me realize just how little I actually recall about it.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:43 pm

And because I know you all listened to this podcast and wanted the Blu-Ray... it's on sale at amazon today for $5.99

Adam Bertocci

Post by Adam Bertocci » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:05 pm

I only saw this flick but I liked it—the subway montage is quite remarkable. Sort of a companion to the also-written-by-Curtis "Notting Hill"'s long walk through the market in that it's the one really great scene in a perfectly pleasant but cinematically-nothing-special movie.

I'm a fan of Richard Curtis going back to his mean comedies—"Blackadder" is perhaps my favorite show—it's very funny to me that he's better known for sweet stuff like "Notting Hill" and "Love, Actually" (I'm actually not a fan of "Love, Actually").

I like how "About Time" mixes happy stuff and genuinely sad stuff. I like movies that get in the multiple feelings of life. Comedies don't have to be nothing but laughs, horror doesn't need to be one ooh-spooky moment after another, dramas should have light spots, and so on. ("Blackadder" is well-noted for, in the final minutes of its final season, shifting from snarky humor into a historically-accurate heartbreaker.)

And since "Slaughterhouse-Five" was brought up, it's weird. I first read it in high school and loved it, it meant a lot, but I read it again a few years later and while I still admired the style and the concepts and such, it didn't resonate in any special way. It's one of very few grown-up books I can remember falling out of my "this book is important to me" graces.

Chad Peter
Site Admin

Post by Chad Peter » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:47 pm

Adam Bertocci wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:05 pm
Slaughterhouse-Five"... ...it didn't resonate in any special way. It's one of very few grown-up books I can remember falling out of my "this book is important to me" graces.
That's basically how I felt about it. I read it because a girl I was dating read it, which I've learned is a terrible reason to do much of anything.